Job Offer: Archivist and Web Integrator
*First work experience in the field of archives and culture *
Application Deadline: July 19, 2019
Studio XX is seeking someone who wants a first work experience in the domain of archives and culture to contribute to the development and updating of the centre’s digital and paper archives.
Founded in 1996, Studio XX is a bilingual feminist artist-run centre that supports technological experimentation, creation and critical reflection in media arts. XX assists in the independent production and diffusion of art created by artists who identify as women, queer, trans, and gender fluid in the field of contemporary technological practices. Demystifying, providing access, equipping, questioning and creating, these are the aims of Studio XX. The centre actively participates in the development of a digital democracy that encourages autonomy and collaboration.
In 2008, the centre launched the online archive project Matricules (www.studioxx.org/matricules): an image-interfaced database consisting of more than 5000 Studio XX documents (texts, audio, video, images), which offers the community an artistic perspective of its trajectory. Matricules highlights the unifying link of the organization’s three core concepts: art, feminism, and technology. Conceptualized from the image of weaving and the principle of inclusion innate to feminism as well as open source software, this unique community narrative space is founded, in part, on the need to take ownership of our stories and the tools used to tell them. It is also founded on the desire to welcome a multitude of voices by giving them visibility. In 2015, our platform was redesigned and migrated to WordPress in order to meet the current Web standards and to facilitate archival access to the general public as well as to researchers.
In collaboration with the Archives Coordinator and the Communications Coordinator, the Archivist and Integrator will carry out the following tasks:
1 – DIGITAL ARCHIVES
– Digitize, catalogue and publish content (newsletters, audio, photos, video, text, etc.) created as part of Studio XX’s regular programming in accordance with the system detailed in the Matricules guide;
– Digitize, catalogue and publish content (audio, photo, video, text, etc.) created as part of Studio XX’s HTMlles festival in accordance with the system detailed in the Matricules guide;
– Digitize, catalogue and publish content (audio, photo, video, text, etc.) created as part of Studio XX’s program XX Files in accordance with the system detailed in the Matricules guide;
– Ensure that the catalogue and online content are up to date;
– Update the Matricules guide to reflect recent changes made during the platform migration;
– Document problems and possible improvements to the current Matricules system;
– Revise and define the metadata (keywords) of the archival documents;
– Archive the 10 years of Studio XX’s digital review .dpi using the Webrecorder system;
– Deposit the final .dpi review files at the ARTEXTE centre;
2 – PAPER ARCHIVES
– Sort and organize Studio XX’s paper archives using the protocol agreed upon with the Communications Coordinator;
– Ensure that the paper archives deposited to ARTEXTE on behalf of Studio XX are up to date;
– Prepare any missing archives to submit to ARTEXTE as a deposit.
Has never held a paid position in archives/documentation or in the cultural sector. The applicant must show that this is a first professional experience in the advancement of their career.
– Has educational background in archival science/documentation, art history or other related fields;
Attention to detail;
– Oral and written bilingualism (French and English);
– Proficient writing skills;
– Ability to work alone and as part of a team;
– Knowledge of WordPress and image editing software an asset;
– An interest in contemporary, digital, and feminist art an asset.
– Hours: Monday to Friday (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
– Contract Period: 30 weeks – 40h/week (excluding the two-week holiday period). September 16, 2019 to April 27, 2020
– Salary $15.50/hour
– Work Location: 4001 Berri, Suite 201 (second floor), Montreal
– Studio XX functions as a horizontal organisation.
Please send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 19, 2019 at 5 p.m.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.