PAID INTERNSHIP OFFER | Interactive Media Developer
Do you make websites, animations, applications, and/or other experiments for digital democracy? Are you interested in open source platforms, new tools for DIY tech, and alternative education? Come work with us as an interactive media developer to help make spaces of dialogue, learning, and play.
This position is made possible by the Digital Competence for Youth program, coordinated by the Independent Media Arts Alliance. Double-check your eligibility below before applying!
Deadline to apply: January 10, 2021
Start date: Week of January 18, 2021
Who are we? Ada X is a bilingual feminist artist-run center engaged in exploration, creation and critical thinking in media arts and digital culture. We support the production and dissemination of work by women, trans, non-binary and queer artists.
What kind of projects will you work on? You will be helping to develop Allo Ada, an educational space on (or adjacent to) our website which will include things like : “Balade Dans Nos Archives” redesigned for greater accessibility and interactivity ; a “kitchen fridge” to display projects by families and participants in our workshops ; a “library” of interactive tools ; a “kit” which will house virtual tech workshops like this one, this one, and this one. This online space will help families, schools, and all curious visitors to discover our archives (see more here!), to explore simple activities inspired by our projects, and to connect directly with us to collaborate on virtual or IRL workshops.
Who will you work with? You will work most closely with the mediation team at Ada X, who lead our educational initiatives, but you will also collaborate with the whole staff : our archivist, communications coordinator, programming coordinator, and tech coordinator. The projects you develop will often involve collaboration with a graphic designer, and may sometimes include troubleshooting with support from our web hosts Koumbit.
What kind of skills will be needed?
Please note : If you are interested and think you have some of the skills required but aren’t sure you have all the technical knowledge that might be involved, contact us! We are looking for someone who likes to find creative solutions to technical problems, who is interested in developing new skills, and wants to contribute to projects that are surprising, thoughtful, and fun.
– Determine and review overall requirements of the new interactive online platform according to the models and content designed by the educational team and the graphic designer;
– Assist in the development of the platform architecture and determine the software requirements;
– Organize information for integration and design the structure, layout and data flows of the platform;
– Develop animations for the website or interactive application;
– Write, modify, integrate and test software code for the website or interactive application;
– Design and optimize sites according to current usability and accessibility standards;
– Test and perform quality and security checks
What are we looking for?
– Commitment to intersectional feminism and anti-oppression in your life and work;
– Interest in alternative technologies and contemporary media arts
– University or college education relevant to the internship;
– Spoken bilinguilism (French/English);
– Ability to work both collaboratively and independently;
Technical skills including :
– Proficiency with one or more web coding langage;
Non-negotiables, please review! Candidates must:
– be between 15 – 30 years of age at the beginning of the internship;
– have completed a post-secondary degree;
– be legally entitled to work in Canada;
– be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a person granted refugee status in Canada;
– not be receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits during the internship;
– self-assess as underemployed, i.e. employed outside their field, in a position which does not match their educational qualifications, or in part-time jobs;
– have not already completed an internship in a Career Focus Youth e-Skills program.
Internship Terms and Conditions:
– Location: 4001 Berri, space 201, Montreal AND online in the current context (a computer can be provided)
– Remuneration: 20$/hour
– 28 hours per week / 36 week contract
– Start Date: Week of January 18, 2021
The recruitment process for Ada X is open and transparent in accordance with our hiring policy and is overseen by the Board of Directors. Ada X exists in its current form largely due to the work and contributions of artists, employees, members and collaborators who are racialized, disabled, queer, trans and/or non-binary. Recognizing the knowledge that comes from the lived experience of these individuals, candidates who self-identify in this way will be prioritized.
To apply, send a letter of intent and your resume to email@example.com by January 10, 2021 with the subject line Application | Interactive Development. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Digital Skills for Youth Program is coordinated by the Department of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada and funded through Human Resources Development Canada’s Youth Employment Strategy (YES) program. The Independent Media Arts Alliance acts as the delivery agency for Quebec.