PAID INTERNSHIP OFFER | Web developer
Do you make websites? Are you interested in open source platforms and digital tools for alternative education? Join the Ada X team as a web developer! This internship opportunity is presented as part of the “Digital Skills for Youth” program coordinated by Communautique. Check your eligibility below before applying!
Application deadline: September 6, 2021
Who are we? Ada X is a bilingual feminist artist-run center dedicated to exploration, creation and critical thinking in media arts and digital culture. We support the production and dissemination of work by women, trans, non-binary and queer artists.
Job Description: Reporting to the Mediation, Archives and Networks Coordinator, the intern will be called upon to contribute to the development of Ada X’s various websites and more specifically the Allo Ada educational platform.
Tasks of the internship :
– organize information for integration, and design the appearance, layout and data flow of the websites ;
– assist in the development of the architecture of the center’s websites and determine software requirements ;
– integrate content (text and media) according to the center’s archiving standards;
– respect the graphic identity developed by the graphic designer when integrating content;
– test and carry out quality and security controls.
The center operates in a horizontal management mode and encourages collaborative work among its team. Projects are carried out in committees where everyone can contribute according to their skills and interests. Thus, the supervision and support of the intern can be provided by different members of the team as needed, in addition to project collaborators such as Koumbit, the web hosting company, which provides technical support upon request. The center uses online platforms to facilitate collaborative work that the intern will be trained in. The internship includes a series of training sessions coordinated by Communautique.
Requirements / skills required :
– University or college education relevant to the internship;
– Knowledge of WordPress ;
– Knowledge of Web programming langages an asset;
– Knowledge of image editing software an asset;
– Knowledge of best practices in user experience;
– Bilinguilism (French/English);
– Attention to detail;
– Ability to work alone and as part of a team;
– An interest in contemporary, digital, and feminist art an asset.
Eligibility criteria for the program:
– Be between the ages of 15 and 30 at the start of the internship;
– Have completed a post-secondary degree;
– Be legally entitled to work in Canada;
– Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a person granted refugee status in Canada;
– Not be receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits during the internship;
– Self-assess as underemployed, i.e. employed outside their field, in a position which does not match their educational qualifications, or in part-time jobs;
– Not have previously completed an internship in a Career Focus Youth Digital Skills program.
The CNJ internship cannot be completed as part of your education.
– Location: 4001 Berri, space 201, Montreal AND online in the current context (a computer can be provided)
– Remuneration: $17/hour
– 40h per week, 6 month contract
The recruitment process for Ada X is open and transparent in accordance with our hiring policy and is overseen by the Board of Directors. Ada X exists in its current form largely due to the work and contributions of artists, employees, members and collaborators who are racialized, disabled, queer, trans and/or non-binary. Recognizing the knowledge that comes from the lived experience of these individuals, candidates who self-identify in this way will be prioritized.
To apply, send a letter of intent and resume to <firstname.lastname@example.org> by September 6th with the subject line Applications | Web Development. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Digital Skills for Youth Program is coordinated by the Department of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada and funded through Human Resources Development Canada’s Youth Employment Strategy (YES) program. Communautique acts as the delivery agency for Quebec.