PAID INTERNSHIP OFFER Web Developer and Integrator
As part of the “Digital Competence for Youth” program, coordinated by Communautique, Ada X (aka Studio XX) is looking for an Web Developer and Integrator.
The context for the internship is to contribute to the integration of content and to the development of the various websites of Ada-X (Studio XX).
Deadline to apply : October 28th, 2020
Start date: November 9th, 2020
Ada X is a bilingual feminist artist-run center engaged in exploration, creation and critical thinking in media arts and digital culture. Ada X supports the production and dissemination of work by women, trans, non-binary and queer artists. In 2008, we launched an online archival project, Matricules, a database of more than 5,000 documents (texts, audio and video files, images) that acts as a multimedia record of our history. Matricules demonstrates the links between three central facets of our organization: art, feminism and technology. In 2016, we implemented a first redesign of the site, moving to WordPress. We have also updated the site by developing thematic search functions, to facilitate access for the general public and for researchers, visible here: https://www.ada-x.org/matricules. Now, we want to increase access to these archives again by integrating links to our educational activities, alongside developing a new online interactive space for our publics – families, schools, community groups, and others.
Under the responsibility of the Coordinator of Mediation, Archives and Networks, and in collaboration with the Ada X team, the intern will contribute to the development and integration of content on the center’s various websites, including the Matricules archive ada-x.org/matricules , the HTMlles Festival htmlles.net and the online magazine dpi.studioxx.org.
• organize information for integration, and design the appearance, layout and data flow of the websites ;
• assist in the development of the architecture of the center’s websites and determine software requirements ;
• integrate content (text and media) according to the center’s archiving standards;
• respect the graphic identity developed by the graphic designer when integrating content;
• test and carry out quality and security controls.
Ada X operates with a horizontal governance structure and encourages collaborative work within its team. Projects are carried out in working groups, and each person contributes according to their skills, interests, and roles. The intern will be supported and guided by various team members as needed, as well as working with external project partners including Koumbit (web host), who provide technical support on demand, and the contractual graphic designer who will collaborate on the development of our educational graphics. Staff and board members use several digital platforms to facilitate our collaborative work; the intern will be trained in the use of these platforms.
Requirements / skills sought:
• University or college education relevant to the internship;
• Knowledge of WordPress ;
• Knowledge of Web programming langages an asset;
• Knowledge of image editing software an asset;
• knowledge of best practices in user experience;
• Bilinguilism (French/English);
• Attention to detail;
• Ability to work alone and as part of a team;
• An interest in contemporary, digital, and feminist art an asset.
Eligibility criteria for the program. Candidates must:
• be between 15 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the internship;
• have completed a post-secondary degree;
• be legally entitled to work in Canada;
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a person granted refugee status in Canada;
• not be receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits during the internship;
• self-assess as underemployed, i.e. employed outside their field, in a position which does not match their educational qualifications, or in part-time jobs;
• have not already completed an internship in a Career Focus Youth e-Skills program.
• Location: 4001 Berri, space 201, Montreal AND online in the current context (a computer can be provided)
• Remuneration: 16,29$/hour
• 40 hours per week / 5 month contract
• Start Date: November 9th, 2020
The recruitment process for Ada X is open and transparent in accordance with our hiring policy and is overseen by the Board of Directors. Ada X exists in its current form largely due to the work and contributions of artists, employees, members and collaborators who are racialized, disabled, queer, trans and/or non-binary. Recognizing the knowledge that comes from the lived experience of these individuals, candidates who self-identify in this way will be prioritized.
To apply, send a letter of intent and your resume to email@example.com before October 28, 2020 with the subject line Application | Web Integration. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Digital Skills for Youth Program is coordinated by the Department of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada and funded through Human Resources Development Canada’s Youth Employment Strategy (YES) program. Communautique acts as the delivery agency for Quebec.