PROGRAMMING | Call for proposals | SLOW TECH | 2020-2021
Deadline: Sunday, January 19th, 2020
– SLOW TECH –
Studio XX is a feminist artist centre dedicated to the exploration, creation and production in media arts as well as critical reflection on the many changes that digital culture is having on societies*. Despite this well-considered position and these good intentions, the technological equipment inherent to the disciplines within its artistic niche implicates Studio XX in a consumerist plight that is at odds with the current environmental crisis. In light of this observation, Studio XX is imbued with ideas, observations and reflections as well as the transversal values of ecofeminisms. We are inviting artists and members of the community to take a technocritical distance.
Until 2022, Studio XX will be Slow Tech. More than just a theme, this position will be comprised of three aspects:
Ecological footprint; destruction, conservation or ecosystem restoration; relationship to consumption, sustainable development; degrowth; digital sobriety; benefits and pitfalls of science; urban sprawl; mobility, etc.
In this era of acceleration and diminishing distances: alternatives to the race towards progress and the latest upgrades; obsolescence or durability; revisiting histories/Histories; slowness, the lifespan of technological devices; the imposed rhythms of life and work; the right to time, etc.
Ecology; social anchorage in various environments; creating family, intergenerational or intercultural links; networking; mental and emotional loads; care culture, etc.
*By digital culture, we are referring to digital literacy practices that contribute to the development of an informed awareness of the languages and possibilities offered by the use of technologies. These practices are deployed in the interest of democratization, empowerment, and independence that are in opposition to the relationship of consumption and control over populations that technologies and corporate Web giants wield.
– The project proposals must meet at least one of the Slow Tech aspects.
– We are looking for projects inspired by feminisms, ecofeminism, cyberfeminism and issues related to race and gender.
– Studio XX welcomes projects from artists, curators, and activists who identify as women, queer, trans, and non-binary as well as collectives and organizations that uphold feminist values.
– The proposals can take various forms: workshops, performances, exhibitions, punctual events/activities such as round tables and discussions, etc.
– Proposals for unfinished projects are welcome, but candidates must cover the necessary production costs to finalize the project before it is presented as part of our programming.
– Studio XX favours artistic practices that rely on the use of computer, digital, audio, interactive or Web technologies.
– Quality of the candidate’s artistic work
– Relevance of the project in the context of media arts
– Consistency of the project with the feminist mandate of Studio XX
– The project must be part of Studio XX’s Slow Tech position
– Special attention will be paid this year to proposals that exploit the virtual reality devices and 3D printer that Studio XX has at their disposal
WHAT WE OFFER
Depending on the proposals selected, Studio XX will pay artist fees according to the recommended rates of the CQAM and CARFAC.
The selected projects will receive logistical and technical support to be defined by the centre’s team.
We are aware of the constraints that some people may experience. Our gallery and work space are accessible to people with disabilities. However, we are currently working to improve access to our washroom. If you have any questions or concerns about the Studio XX’s ability to accommodate you, do not hesitate to contact us.
Applications can be completed in French or English.
APPLICATIONS THAT DON’T MEET THE REQUIREMENTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
In A SINGLE PDF FILE (5 MB), please provide the following information:
- Personal Information
– Name(s) of the candidate(s)
– Preferred pronouns (not mandatory)
– If relevant, number of people involved, specifying a representative
– Phone number
– Email address
– Type of media (i.e. virtual reality, 3D printing, video, etc.)
– Project format (i.e. exhibition, event or activity, workshop, etc.). Please note that Studio XX generally only presents one group exhibition per year.
– Current phase of the proposed project
– Number of artists and/or partners involved
– Project description (500 words max.)
– Relevance to the Slow Tech theme – at least one of the three axes (100 words max.)
– Relevance to the Studio XX feminist mandate (100 words max.)
– Technical requirements (equipment and installation requirements)
– Equipment and resources provided by the artist
- Supporting Documents
– CV (3 pages max.)
– Artist Statement (250 words max.)
- Visual/Audio Files
– Images: 10 max.
– URL links to audio/video: up to 5 excerpts of a maximum of three minutes. Be sure to provide passwords if applicable.
– Descriptions of the visual/audio files: name, title, media, diffusion context, year.
Please send your application as A SINGLE PDF FILE (5 MB max.) to: email@example.com
Email Subject Heading: Proposal | Programming 2020-2021
Application Deadline: January 19, 2020 at 11:59 PM (EST).
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Applicants will receive an acknowledgement of receipt.
Once the selection process is complete, only successful candidates will be notified (Spring 2020).