Residency Opportunity – 3D/XR
DS4Y Digital Skills for Youth: 3D/VR/AR/XR-focused artistic residency at Ada X
* Calling emerging artists *
- Residency dates: December 10 2023 to March 31, 2024
- Conditions: 40 hours per week at $25/hr
- Deadline to apply: December 6, 2023
Join us at Ada X for 4 months of open-ended artistic exploration! Develop your digital skills and artistic practice with feedback from an artistic mentor and professional training in VR/AR and 3D modelling.
This residency opportunity is presented as part of the “Digital Skills for Youth” program coordinated by the Independent Media Arts Alliance and funded by the Government of Canada. Double-check your eligibility below before applying!
This residency supports one artist between 15 and 30 years of age to develop an artistic proposal over eight weeks integrating virtual reality, augmented reality and 3D modeling. The project will be hosted online on Allo Ada, our new virtual platform developed with Mozilla Hubs, designed to facilitate virtual collaboration and learning. Ada X has developed its own server to provide a virtual space for discovery, animation and encounters with artists and their work. A number of artists have already adapted works to the site, some of which have been used with different groups in the context of workshops and educational activities.
Follow these links to find out more:
Send us a proposal that relates to our mandate as a feminist media arts centre: we are particularly interested in projects that address interactions between gender, race, accessibility, and technology.
Ada X is a bilingual feminist artist-run center for media arts and digital culture. The center supports women, trans, non-binary and queer artists in the production and dissemination of their work. See more!
– Be an emerging artist residing in the Greater Montreal area who identifies as queer, trans, two-spirit, female, and/or non-binary
– Have an interest in or an existing media arts practice
– Propose an open-ended project that is feasible with the material resources made available by Ada X
– Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the residency
– Be legally entitled to work in Canada (either a citizen, permanent resident or person with refugee status)
– Self-identify as underemployed (i.e. employed below your level of education, holding part-time employment, or in emerging fields with few jobs)
– Have completed post-secondary studies
– Have no immediate family relationship with the employer
– Consistency with Ada X mandate
– Quality of artistic work
– Potential impact of the residency in your professional and artistic development
To get a better idea of the type of projects Ada X supports, take a look at past residencies: www.ada-x.org/residences/
WHAT WE OFFER
– Access to our lab and equipment for a period of 16 weeks
– An hourly wage of 25$ for 40 hours per week for 16 weeks
– acces to our professionnal workshops free of charge
– a value of $2000 additional funding for technical training and artistic mentor
Applications may be in French or English and must include:
– 500 word outline of your proposed project including how you might integrate VR and/or video mapping into the project; tell us why Ada X is a good context for your project and how you think the residency will support your artistic practice and development of your digital skills
– 5-10 images or a link to your website
– Please collect your documents as a single PDF file (5 MB maximum).
– Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Please send your application in ONE PDF FILE (5 MB maximum) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject of the email: Application for DS4Y Residency
Application deadline: December 6, 2023
Residency start date: December 10, 2023
End date of residency: March 31, 2024
Hours worked per week: 40
Hourly wage: $25.00
Have questions? Contact email@example.com