Residency Opportunity – DS4Y digital skills
* Calling emerging artists
Join Ada X for 2 months of open-ended artistic exploration! Develop your digital skills and artistic practice with feedback from an artistic mentor and professional training in VR/AR and video mapping.
Residency dates: January 30 to March 31, 2023
Deadline to apply: January 25, 2023
Conditions: 32 hours per week at $25/hr
This residency opportunity is presented as part of the “Digital Skills for Youth” program coordinated by the Independent Media Arts Alliance and funded by the Department of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada. Double-check your eligibility below before applying!
This residency supports one artist between 15 and 30 years of age to develop an artistic proposal integrating VR, AR and/or video mapping over eight weeks. Artists with minimal digital experience are welcome to apply. Depending on the proposal, the project could be hosted online as part of our new Allo Ada platform.
Send us a proposal that relates to our mandate as a feminist media arts centre: we are particularly interested in projects that address interactions between gender, race, accessibility, and technology.
Ada X is a bilingual feminist artist-run centre for media arts and digital culture. The centre supports women, trans, non-binary and queer artists in the production and dissemination of their work.
- Be an emerging artist residing in the Greater Montreal area who identifies as queer, trans, two-spirit, female, and/or non-binary
- Have an interest in or an existing media arts practice
- Propose an open-ended project that is feasible with the material resources made available by Ada X
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the residency
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada (either a citizen, permanent resident or person with refugee status)
- Self-identify as underemployed (i.e. employed below your level of education, holding part-time employment, or in emerging fields with few jobs)
- Have completed post-secondary studies
- Have no immediate family relationship with the employer
- Consistency with Ada X’ mandate
- Quality of artistic work
- Potential impact of the residency in your professional and artistic development
To get a better idea of the types of projects Ada X supports, take a look at past residencies: https://www.ada-x.org/residences/
WHAT WE OFFER
- Access to our lab and equipment for a period of 8 weeks
- An hourly wage of 25$ for 32 hours per week for 8 weeks
- 1 intensive workshop in Mapping free of charge
- A value of $3000 in additional funding for technical training and mentorship
Applications may be in French or English and must include:
- A 500-word outline of your proposed project, including how you might integrate VR and/or video mapping into the project; tell us why Ada X is a good fit for your project and how you think the residency will support your artistic practice and the development of your digital skills
- A CV
- 5-10 images or a link to your website
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Please send your application as ONE PDF FILE (5 MB maximum) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject of the email: Application for DS4Y Residency
Application deadline: 25-Jan-2023
Residency start date: 30-Jan-2023
End date of residency: 31-Mar-2023
Hours worked per week: 32
Hourly wage: $25.00
Have questions? Contact email@example.com
This residency opportunity is presented as part of the “Digital Skills for Youth” program coordinated by the Independent Media Arts Alliance and funded by the Department of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.